Saturday, March 01, 2008

Lan's #9: Izakaya Lounge

Izakaya lounge (sf)

O Izakaya Lounge
Hotel Kabuki
1625 Post St
San Francisco, CA 94115
(415) 614-5431

On our way to Tanpopo for some ramen, I noticed that Dot Lounge (which had been closed for a few years) had finally reopened...as an Izakaya Lounge! I love Izakaya (basically Japanese bar food) so we abandoned the idea of ramen (which I'd been craving all week) and stopped in to try this new spot. It has been totally remodeled and looks nothing like what it did during the Dot Lounge days. The hotel has also been remodeled and renamed.

The entrance from Post St is not the main entrance. The bartenders just kind of stare at you and we stare confused back. To get seated, you have to walk over to the hotel entrance towards the right. Strangely, none of the servers in this Japanese(-inspired) place are Japanese...I think the water lady was Chinese. The head chef is from the Americano down by the Embarcadero as are many of the cooks.

J ordered a $3 Guinness from the can and I got a Pinot Noir. You're supposed to drink beer or sake at an izakaya, but I was in the mood for wine. I've had too much beer this week and my belly shows it. For food, we ordered pork belly and beef loin yakimono (skewers). Sadly, they were out of Hamachi belly yakimono. I wish they were served a little hotter.

We also got yakisoba, which seemed to be pan-fried ramen noodles with a teriyaki sauce and some tofu & vegetables. SKIP THIS.

Finally, we got the O Lounge Burger, which is pretty good. Sooo...the best thing at this izakaya was the burger. However, their burger does not make it onto my list of elite burgers (Bistro Aix, Chez Maman, Zuni, Absinthe, and the Richmond).

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home