Friday, February 01, 2008

Assgass #44-47: The Bowery, Magnolia, VineBar, 3Clubs

Tuesday night in Hollywood

The Bowery

Somewhat hipstery spot halfway between a bar and restaurant. Vast selection of beer and wine (as well as a full bar) in a nice space with just the right level of ambient noise/music. The website touts it as "quintessentially New York" which i suppose i could see. (nah, don't care to elaborate.) The mac & cheese wasn't as good as Kevin said, but it was worth trying for it's uniqueness. I'd come back and try the burger on an english muffin the waiters kept taunting me with. Good after work meeting spot for a bite and/or drinks. I'd probably sit at a table or the bar next time. The bench against the wall is about 10" shallow and at a slight angle forward so even my tiny ass felt like it was sliding off.



Magnolia
6266 1/2 Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90028

It's nice


Vine Bar
1235 Vine St.
Los Angeles, CA 90038

I have since been here twice, once as the only customers, the second time on a packed Saturday night. I still have yet to form a solid opinion. Nothing terribly great, nor terrible. New owners recently took over and spruced up the place, looks pretty good, but perhaps trying to find it's fit. Fat tire on tap is a plus, full bar, narrow main floor, small additional level, smoker's corner. Walking distance from the 3 other bars we hit that night.



3 Clubs
1123 Vine St.
Los Angeles, CA 90038

My favorite of the night. Much grittier than the Bowery and Magnolia, and I suppose Vine Bar for that matter. Stiff Drinks. I nursed my 7&7 until the one ice cube melted, and it still tasted like straight Seagrams. 2 connected rooms: one is the regular bar with juke box playing mostly hard rock; The connected room features different events each night of the week including a burlesque show, commedy night, local bands, and djs. For some reason, when I picture this place, I see an s&m catwoman sitting in the corner.

i've lost track of the pics for these bars. corazon? help?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home