Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Assgass #8: Hollywood Highlands


Hollywood Highlands
6801 Hollywood Blvd.
Hollywood, CA 90028


Babble Blog---
I don't really feel like writing right now, but I'm at work with no work to do, and I'm interested to see how this blog will come out in a non-writing mood. I'm probably going to babble.

...So, Hollywood Highlands. I wasn't looking forward to coming here-regularly a $25 cover charge, dress code, Hollywood crowd, located inside a mall... not elements that make Joyce go, "Yeah! Let's GO!" But, it was a triple birthday celebration with a big group of folks that are always a good time, so I knew I'd have fun regardless. Well, I have to admit, I was very pleasantly surprised. Though I normally prefer a loungy place to a club, for Highlands, I have all good things to say.

Staff-When we first arrived, it was slightly chaotic outside for my slightly high ass. Lots of people, different lines, different entrances, didn't know where we were suppose to go. Okay, not necessarily a good thing, but the staff was not the power trippin staff I was expecting. Instead, a pretty personal friendly. We tried to enter through a side entrance which we thought was the guest list line. Turned out to be different but connected club (?) whose guestlist closed at 1030 (It was 11p), but the nice gal at the door was willing to let us get in at a discounted price. Even more fortunately, we found out we were suppose to enter on the complete opposite side of the club. Apparently we were on the VIP list. That always helps. Once we found the right spot to enter, Jessica took care of us quite right. No hassles, walked us to the front of the crowded line and straight in. Bouncer even said, "Have a good time." Damn, Vegas clubs should learn something from these folks. The rest of the staff I came across all night all had some love too, friendly (huge) bouncers and security guards, bartenders, were all on the level. Thanks El, Jay, and Julio (not "Whoo-lee-o", but "Joo-lee-o"), and thank you PAT for hookin it up!

Crowd-Not hoity-toity as I thought. I was glad to see some folks in sweatshirts and tennis shoes outside, and not the glitter glam, shiny shirts, and guidos I was expecting. Yes there were people dressed up, but people looked good. Maybe I was high, but it felt more like a "Ye-ah, I look good" dressed up rather than a dress to impress. All my ladies were looking lovely and fabuloussss! Folks were friendly, and all across the dance floor people were having a genuine good time. Even met some fellas outside who were happy to share a cigaweed. or two.

Music was good! Not music that's good, that I would seek out and go here for, but that's not what you go to a club for. It was Good.dancing.party.music. Many a time, I did the hand in the air, and said "Yaaaaa!" and danced like I couldn't stop the dancing. And like I said before, everyone on the dancefloor was having a genuine good time. Oh shit!! and then guess who comes out on the turntables? SPINDERELLA!! Heyyy!!! Shit

Drinks weren't bad, $8.50, for a Hollywood club, it's nothing to complain about. I tried something new, a Henessey and pineapple. A little sweet for my sensitive throat. Venue was nice. I was a little high when I got in, so I'm still a little confused on the layout (which is probably extremely simple). From what I can dig out of my mind-at least two levels, an outdoor patio with a view that I failed to notice in my drunken stupor, an indoor/outdoor area, a small stage at the far end of the open dance floor, at least two bars, etc. It felt like an old 1920's building, tho, I don't know how that could be, being on the 4th floor of the Highland mall. hmm.

Well, this was a long blog for not feeling like writing. I had a good time. If you're looking for a club, sure, hit up Highlands. or the Loft. I'm still confused about that. Happy birthday folks

(Still didn't bring my own camera. That's my head at the bottom right. This counts as a bar right? I definitely drank. But not as much as drunk Mike here).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home