Friday, February 16, 2007

Lan's #17-19: Lucid, Starlight Room, Slide

580 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 398-0195

On a rainy Wednesday evening, this place had a decent crowd, but was not too full that we couldn't find 3 seats together at the bar. Although it wasn't crowded, it did take the bartender a full 10-15 minutes to acknowledge our presence (definitely one of my pet peeves). I had plenty of time to scrutinize the cocktail menu and ordered a peach bellini. I don't think I've ever had a peach bellini, so I have nothing to compare it to, but it was a tad sour. However, Angelina & Jamie's drinks were well made.

Lucid
Halfway through my drink, an old man came in, dancing to the electronic music playing overhead. His style reminded me of the old guy from the Six Flags commercials over the summer. Angelina should post a picture of him.

The venue was nice, but the bartender was not.

***

450 Powell Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 395-8595

Since we could see the Starlight Room from the entrance of Lucid, we decided to stop here before heading to slide. It probably would have made sense to go here first, since Lucid was in between the two, but it was only a block in either direction, so not bad either way. I forget which hotel this is, but its the one where the bellhops wear silly costumes.
The lighting is that odd lighting where I have trouble seeing...some people call it romantic lighting. There is a great view of Union Square, although I think the view from Alexandra's at the Westin St. Francis is much better--mostly because it is probably 20 floors higher than Harry Denton's. The crowd is pretty old and touristy--people from out of town on romantic dates, old people who like to dance, etc. Kind of expensive, stuffy, and not my crowd.
View from Harry Denton's Starlight Room
I think I ordered champagne. Angelina's drink was icky. Here is Jamie's reaction to the drink:
Harry Denton's Starlight Room

***
430 Mason Street
San Francisco, CA 94102

I really like the decor here: polished wood slide, brown decor with eggshell blue accents, and
DJ booth made from a baby grand piano! The ride down the slide (an homage to the space's speakeasy days) was super fun (swirly & fast!), although they made me wait at the top for a while (until the floor manager could supervise my exit from the slide). The bartender was very friendly but he did mention that the place gets pretty crowded. Based on its location (underneath Ruby Skye) I bet this place gets pretty packed with assholes on the weekends.
@ Slide
I'm not sure what I drank at this bar--it may have been an extra dirty Grey Goose martini--I remember carrying a cosmo glass. And I remember whatever it was being pretty good...

@ Slide

***
We ended the evening with some wine and moules frites at Plouf. Yum! Angelina has better pictures from this night, so I hope she posts them. Now, I am starting to think that maybe this happened on a Thursday and not a Wednesday? I suppose the requirement to post within 1 month is a good one--details are escaping me.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home